2010-04-15

Typography and タイポグラフィ




I work in a web design studio in Tokyo now. I do graphic design there and just sadly realised how I am useless.
I did typo in uni but I don't know anything about its system even basic knowledge. Shameful!
Anyway. I just found out the difference between English typo and Japanese one.


Let's talk about English one for the first.
I see English typo as objects. I don't read the content of articles much, just reading head copies and I get small information.
So it is mush easy to arrange the layout than Japanese one.
The English alphabet has just 26 letters, and this small numbers have actually huge diversity and possibility.
The beautiful and perfect figure of alphabet is freedom. It changes its shape to anything.
The English alphabet is simple, therefore the meaning of the word--which is constructed by alphabet--would be the most important element in typography.


Next is Japanese typo.
Japanese letters are difficult to compose, I feel.
basically Japanese has three alphabets, 50 letters each in KATAKANA and HIRAGANA and also countless chinese characters...
Therefore it is almost impossible to make new font by ourselves and quite tiny numbers of fonts are installed in computer.
KATAKANA has very smooth shape but KATAKANA is solid. Chinese character is very complicated and chaos. Also It gives serious image to readers. So....three different alphabets are too much characteristic.
Personally I feel handwriting is the best for Japanese typo. Especially elderly people's. Their traditional writings are very beautiful and emotional. I think this is kind of the answer for Japanese typo as the emotional language.


Typography is mysterious. Old-fashion but modern and contemporary.
It has wide range of its history with traditional method, but still gives fresh air in the graphic design area.
Words gives imagination without visible images. It actually requires us to have imagination by ourselves.
So I love typo and never get bored!

No comments:

Post a Comment